Lemon Couscous with Broccoli
I combined two recipes to create this side with broccoli and pasta. The splash of lemon adds nice flavor. Instead of toasted almonds, you could also sprinkle servings with grated Parmesan cheese. —Beth Dauenhauer, Pueblo, CO
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add broccoli;
- cook and stir until crisp-tender.
- Add couscous and garlic; cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer. Stir in
- broth, lemon peel, lemon juice and seasonings; bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5-10 minutes or until broth is
- absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 115 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 328 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber,