Lemon plus coconut equals big smiles in this cupcake equation. These zesty gems are a hit with my family, friends and neighbors.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- LEMON COCONUT FROSTING:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut, divided
- Shredded lemon peel, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon peel and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Beat just until combined. Fold in coconut.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, grated lemon peel, vanilla and lemon juice until fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth; stir in 1/4 cup coconut. Frost cupcakes; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Garnish with shredded lemon peel if desired. Yield: 15 cupcakes.
Originally published as Lemon Coconut Cupcakes in Country Woman January/February 2007, p34
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Coconut Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review