“If you’re pressed for time, use a white cake mix and dress it up with the filling and frosting from this recipe,” suggests field editor LaDonna Reed, Ponca City, Oklahoma. “This is a lovely dessert for spring and summer.”
- 5 egg whites
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup water
- 1-1/4 cups flaked coconut
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gradually fold into creamed mixture.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in lemon juice and butter. Cool, without stirring, to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy; beat in vanilla. Gradually add water, beating until smooth. Spread filling between cake layers. Frost top and sides of cake; sprinkle with coconut. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Coconut Cake in Taste of Home April/May 2006, p14
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Coconut Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review