- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- For filling, in a saucepan, combine sugar, lemon juice, peel, butter, eggs and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in coconut. Cool slightly; chill.
- Divide dough into fourths. Roll each portion into a 15-in. x 3-1/2-in. rectangle. Spread 1/4 cup filling off-center down each rectangle. Bring long edges together over filling; seal edges. Cut into 1-1/2-in. bars; place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon Coconut Bars in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1997, p34
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Coconut Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review