Lemon Clouds with Custard Recipe
- 11 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/3 cups plus 1 tablespoon cold water, divided
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- CUSTARD SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-3/4 cups cold milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a heavy saucepan, combine 5 tablespoons sugar, cornstarch, and lemon peel. Gradually stir in 1-1/3 cups water until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice. Set aside.
- 2. In another heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, cream of tartar and remaining sugar and water. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed over low heat for 1 minute. Continue beating until mixture reaches 160°. Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer. Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into lemon syrup. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 3. For sauce, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot milk mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Spoon lemon meringue into dessert cups; top with custard sauce. Yield: 5-6 servings.
1 cup: 220 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 67mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (32g sugars, trace fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Lemon Clouds with Custard
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.