Lemon Cloud Popcorn
"I love the unexpected lemony flavor of this light snack," says field editor Trudie Hagen of Roggen, Colorado.
20 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4-1/2 quarts popped popcorn
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Place popcorn in two greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans.
- Keep warm in a 225° oven.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and water;
- bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir occasionally until mixture
- reaches 290° on a candy thermometer (soft-crack stage). Remove
- from the heat; quickly stir in extract and baking soda. Pour over
- warm popcorn. Sprinkle with lemon peel; stir until well coated.
- Store in an airtight container. Yield: 5 quarts.
Editor's Note: 1/2 cup of unpopped kernels equals about 4 cups popped popcorn.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 153 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 129 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.