This flavorful, festive pie is my favorite for parties and family gatherings.
- MERINGUE SHELL:
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- LEMON FILLING:
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Peel of 1 lemon
- Dash salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Additional whipped cream and lemon slices, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar, salt and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Add sugar gradually, about 1 tablespoon at a time, and beat until very stiff. Place in a greased 9-in. round baking dish. Bake at 275° for 55 minutes or until meringue is a light cream color and is dry and firm to the touch. Cool thoroughly.
- For filling, beat egg yolks in the top of a double boiler. Add sugar, lemon juice, peel and salt. Cook until thick, about 5-8 minutes. Cool. Fold in whipped cream. Spoon into shell. Refrigerate overnight. If desired, garnish with whipped cream and lemon slices. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Cloud Pie in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p82
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Cloud Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review