- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- In a small bowl, combine the cilantro, 2 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and lemon peel. Loosen skin around the chicken breast, leg and thigh. Rub the cilantro mixture under and over the skin. Rub any remaining mixture into the cavity. Drizzle with remaining oil. Sprinkle with paprika and pepper.
- Place in a 6- or 7-qt. slow cooker. Add wine to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Remove chicken to a serving platter; cover and let stand 15 minutes before carving. Skim fat and thicken juices if desired. Serve with chicken. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Lemon Cilantro Chicken
"It smells wonderful while cooking, however my husband and I agreed that the flavor was slightly muted and not nearly as "bright" as we'd hoped. I will likely make this dish again but will perhaps let the cilantro and lemon mixture sit on the chicken for a bit before sticking it in the slow cooker. I also may try using butter rather than the canola oil."
"Made just as stated using Pino Grigio .very good, very easy. Smells wonderful cooking all day."
"Excellent! quick easy meal with a fantastic flavor. I actually prepped the chicken 24 hours ahead to let the chicken absorb the flavors of the cilantro, lemon and garlic. The sauce was perfect, I just let it set for 10 minutes which made it easy to skim the fat and thicken with corn starch. I actaully would probably reduce the salt by half since our family normally do not use much salt."
"Excellent flavor in this dish. I did not use a whole chicken, as advised. Substituted no skin chicken breasts instead. Took the mixture and it 'stuck' to the frozen breasts. Used chicken broth, as didn't have any wine. Cooked high 1 hr and then low till done. Excellent! Very tasty and is probably very good with whole chicken, I just don't like the dark meat. The 'gravy' was awesome. Next time will try with the white wine instead of broth. Bet it is even better!"
"This recipe was delish! The only thing I changed was I reduced the salt by half. I was afraid it would come out too lemony, but it was just right. Next time, I will use boneless skinless chicken parts. That way I can just thicken the gravy and serve."
"I tried this recipe yesterday but I substituted hotel-style turkey breast for the chicken. It came out very moist. I used the amount of salt the recipe called for but found it was too salty for our taste since we usually don't add salt to most of our recipes. I will try the recipe again but will leave out the salt."
"I just made this recipe and thought it was wonderful. The chicken was moist and the recipe easy. I had company and everyone enjoyed."