This fall-off-the-bone chicken with lemony gravy is very easy to prepare and is a wonderful way to cook a whole chicken in the slow cooker.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- In a small bowl, combine the cilantro, 2 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and lemon peel. Loosen skin around the chicken breast, leg and thigh. Rub the cilantro mixture under and over the skin. Rub any remaining mixture into the cavity. Drizzle with remaining oil. Sprinkle with paprika and pepper.
- Place in a 6- or 7-qt. slow cooker. Add wine to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Remove chicken to a serving platter; cover and let stand 15 minutes before carving. Skim fat and thicken juices if desired. Serve with chicken. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Cilantro Chicken in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2011, p29
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Lemon Cilantro Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review