- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- In a bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Fold in chocolate chips and lemon peel. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Brush tops with lemon juice; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forLemon Chip Muffins
"Excellent and super easy! I prefer them without the chocolate chips (which provides a wonderful full-lemon flavor!). Kids and adults love them - perfect size as mini-muffins for pre-K snacks."