Lemon Chiffon Pie Recipe
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1-1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1/2 ounce semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1. Cut pastry sheet in half. Repackage and refrigerate one half for another use. On a lightly floured surface, roll out remaining half into an 8-in. circle. Transfer to a 7-in. pie plate; flute edges.
- 2. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over water; let stand for 1 minute. Heat over low heat stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in 1/4 cup sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- 4. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over low heat for 3 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened and a thermometer reaches 160° (do not boil). Remove from the heat. Cover and refrigerate for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5. In a small heavy saucepan, combine egg whites and remaining sugar over low heat. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed over low heat until mixture reaches 160°. Remove from the heat. Beat on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into lemon mixture; gently fold in whipped cream.
- 6. In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Spoon a third of lemon mixture into pie shell; drizzle with half of chocolate mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining lemon mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Yield: 4 servings.
1 piece: 444 calories, 23g fat (11g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 393mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (28g sugars, trace fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Lemon Chiffon Pie
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.