Lemon Chiffon Cake Recipe
- 7 eggs, separated
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- LEMON FROSTING:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Dash salt
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Place oven rack in the lowest position. Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, water, oil, lemon peel and vanilla; add to dry ingredients and beat until well blended. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake 50-55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. In a small bowl, combine frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread over top of cake, allowing frosting to drape down the sides. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Chiffon Cake(42)
Sort By :
Excellent cake! I agree with gjfarm1, the frosting is too heavy for the cake. Next time I'll just do a glaze for the finishing touch and maybe add lemon extract to the cake for a bit more flavor. Great recipe definitely a keeper
Excellent cake! Frosting too heavy for such a lite cake.....next time will dust with powered sugar. Used 2 tsps. lemon juice instead of all that lemon zest in cake also.....tasted amazing! Looking forward to baking this one again.
Make this a layer cake....add lemon curd between layers and frost with whipped cream!! Fabulous !!!!
Definitely a keeper! The texture is a little like sponge cake, very moist with great lemon flavor.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Frosting >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Frosting Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Lemon Cake >
- Mother's Day Dessert Recipes >
- Mother's Day Recipes >
- Potluck Desserts >