Lemon Chiffon Cake Recipe
- 7 eggs, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Dash salt
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325°.
- 2. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together twice; place in another large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, water, oil, lemon peel and vanilla until smooth. Add to flour mixture; beat until well blended.
- 3. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium speed just until stiff but not dry. Fold a fourth of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- 4. Gently spoon batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest oven rack 50-55 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely in pan, about 1 hour.
- 5. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
- 6. In a small bowl, combine frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread over cake. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice equals 345 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 288 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.