Lemon Chicken 'n' Rice Recipe
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-2/3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 to 4 medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a small saucepan, saute rice and barley in butter for 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add 1 cup broth, water, mushrooms and onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-22 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil on both sides. Add 1/3 cup broth and wine or additional broth. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes on each side or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and milk until smooth; gradually stir into pan juices. Stir in the lemon peel, dill, salt, pepper and remaining broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Let rice mixture stand for 5 minutes; fluff with a fork. Serve chicken with rice. Top with dill sauce. Yield: 2 servings.
1 chicken breast half with 1/3 cup sauce and 3/4 cup rice mixture (prepared with reduced-fat butter, reduced-sodium broth and fat-free evaporated milk) equals 531 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 107 mg cholesterol, 863 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 47 g protein.
Reviews for Lemon Chicken 'n' Rice
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.