Lemon Chicken 'n' Rice Recipe
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-2/3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 to 4 medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, saute rice and barley in butter for 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add 1 cup broth, water, mushrooms and onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-22 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil on both sides. Add 1/3 cup broth and wine or additional broth. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes on each side or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and milk until smooth; gradually stir into pan juices. Stir in the lemon peel, dill, salt, pepper and remaining broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Let rice mixture stand for 5 minutes; fluff with a fork. Serve chicken with rice. Top with dill sauce. Yield: 2 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Lemon Chicken 'n' Rice
Sort By :
This was pretty good. The barley and rice was an interesting combination. To improve the nutrition, I'll try brown rice but it might have to cook longer. Also, I felt like I should use some of the juice from the lemon, maybe in place of some of the wine? I'll probably try some tweaks next time.