- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 cups coarsely chopped Swiss chard, kale or spinach
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium lemon, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken; cook and stir until browned. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Repeat with remaining oil and chicken.
- Stir broth, vegetables, lemon slices, lemon juice, peel and pepper into chicken. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender. Stir in rice; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews for Lemon Chicken & Rice Soup
Sort By :
Loved this recipe!
This was extremely too bitter for my tastes. I suggest using a quarter of the sliced lemon or maybe none at all.
This was pretty good, extremely lemony and a bit sour if you like that. I used orzo instead of rice, for speed of preparation. Kind of a refreshingly sour, bright taste. We didn't rave about it, but if I had lots of lemons on hand I would probably make it again.
After being sick for almost two month I decided to make this. I used preserved lemons instead and orzo. It was delish !!!!!!