- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 cups coarsely chopped Swiss chard, kale or spinach
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium lemon, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken; cook and stir until browned. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Repeat with remaining oil and chicken.
- Stir broth, vegetables, lemon slices, lemon juice, peel and pepper into chicken. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender. Stir in rice; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews for Lemon Chicken & Rice Soup
"My family loves this soup. I added 1/2 tsp. salt and used 6 cups of chicken broth and 4 cups of water. I used kale and will continue to...I don't think spinach would hold up well enough and the kale added great texture. I wash my lemons thoroughly and didn't notice any bitterness. The lemon was a great flavor, not too much at all if you like lemon. I also didn't add the rice to the full pot of soup, but instead added it to each dish before ladling the soup on top. I plan to freeze some of the leftovers and thought it would reheat better this way."
"This soup is VERY lemony! It was good, but if I make it again I will omit the thinly sliced lemon."
"Soup was bitter. It had no favor. I would not make it again. To much rice in the recipe."
"Loved this recipe!"
"This was extremely too bitter for my tastes. I suggest using a quarter of the sliced lemon or maybe none at all."
"This was pretty good, extremely lemony and a bit sour if you like that. I used orzo instead of rice, for speed of preparation. Kind of a refreshingly sour, bright taste. We didn't rave about it, but if I had lots of lemons on hand I would probably make it again."
"After being sick for almost two month I decided to make this. I used preserved lemons instead and orzo. It was delish !!!!!!"
"Yum! This soup was fabulous. Love the lemon kick to it. This is my new favorite chicken soup. I actually like it a lot better with rice than with noodles. My family loved it."
"Good. The flavor wasn't as *wow* as I would have liked, but I suppose more spices, herbs or salt can be added to help with that. With some rustic homemade wheat bread, it was a very soul-satisfying meal. I wanted to avoid the bitterness that other reviewers had noticed in their soup, so I made sure I washed the lemon very thoroughly before using it. It is probably the lemon peel sitting in the stock so long that is causing the bitterness, so I also didn't add the lemon slices until halfway through the cooking time (and threw them out before storing the leftovers in the fridge). These strategies worked well. No bitterness -- just a pleasantly subtle lemon flavor."