Lemon Chess Pie Recipe
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. Unroll pastry on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat eggs for 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar; beat for 2 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Beat in the lemon juice, butter, cornmeal, flour and salt.
- 3. Pour into pastry shell. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece: 482 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 168mg cholesterol, 283mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (52g sugars, trace fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Lemon Chess Pie
"My first Taste of Home failure. Is it because I live at 8,000 ft? Baked for more than 90 mins and it still isn't set in the middle. (Oven temp. is fine). Had to cover with a loose sheet of foil after 40 mins as it was getting so dark and of course it stuck to the gooey top. It may be edible by family, so not a complete waste, but I will need to bake something else for tomorrow night's company."
"Gone so quick I did not even get a slice! A must for my family and easy peasy!"
"So easy to make! Even tastes especially good warm out of the oven (if you can't wait the 3 hours recommended for cooling!) We needed some extra cooking time, too - we found it took us almost 50 minutes for it to bake and set. (But it was worth the wait!)"
"This was awesome! The only change I'll make next time is to add a little lemon zest. Also, the baking time seemed off - either that, or my oven is WAY off temp - but I had to bake mine for almost 60 minutes."
"hannah this a wonderful recipe,it brings back memories of my grandma C's lemon chess pie...We miss her so much,please send more..."
"I'm so glad a lot of you like my recipe. :) It's been in my family a long, long time and it sure to be a hit no matter where or when you serve it :)"
"This pie was wonderful! It was full of flavor and not too sweet. I will make it again."
"Love chess pie!! mmm"
"I would make this recipe again. But being from Texas it was not what I expected. I didn't like the texture all that much."
"This is a simple pie that my family loved. It was just the right amount of sweet and sour. I would make this all the time, its that easy and good."
"This is exactly the way a Lemon Chess Pie is made, and the way I've made it for 40 years to rave reviews. Just because it's not what you're expecting doesn't make it bad or wrong. This pie should get 10 stars."
"This pie is easy to make and makes a nice appearance, but I don't care for the texture. The flavor is excellent, but a Southern friend said it was not what she expected for a traditional chess pie."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.