Lemon Cheese Squares Recipe
With a tangy filling and a nutmeg-flavored crust, this dessert hits the spot after a meal or as a snack. My grandmother made these bars for me when I was growing up, and they were my favorite.Emily Weedman, Milwaukie, Oregon
- 1/3 cup stick margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- In a bowl, cream margarine and brown sugar. Combine the flour, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture. Press into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- For filling, place the cottage cheese, egg, egg white and lemon juice in a blender or food processor. Cover and process until smooth. Add the sugar, flour, lemon peel and baking powder; cover and process until blended. Pour over crust.
- Bake at 350° for 30-34 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate until chilled. Cut into squares. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Cheese Squares in Taste of Home February/March 2003, p19
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Cheese Squares(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 3, 2010
Absolutely excellent! I made it for my Grandparents, and he said "Now that is my kind of dessert!" I added blueberries and it was great.