Lemon Cheese Braid Bread Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, butter, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour; beat on low speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough of remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat all the filling ingredients until fluffy; set aside.
- 4. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 14-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Place on a greased baking sheet. Spread filling down center third of rectangle. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips, 3-in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Seal end. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve drizzling consistency; drizzle over warm bread. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 284 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 201 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Lemon Cheese Braid Bread
"It probably didn't bake all the way through. If the braid wasn't long enough you may have had too dense of an area of filling. I often split the dough and make 2, 4, or even 6 minis. Totally worth the effort, give it another go. Also - the first couple of times I made this I didn't read the cream cheese quantity right it says 2 pkgs - but then in parenthesis it says an 8 oz and a 3 oz....confusing for me, it should have just said 11 oz of cream cheese."
"PHENOMENAL!! I have literally made this recipe 100+ times. The requests are endless, always gets rave reviews. I sometimes make 4-6 minis out of a recipe, those are fun too. A big thanks to the submitter. For me, the bake time and temp is a bit too much, usually I bake at 350 for 20 min...especially for the minis (closer to 18 min)"
"the filling was super runny. What was the problem I had?"
"This is a great bread recipe. I have been making it for a long time."
"I have been making this recipe for years and it is a family & friend favorite. I get request for this wonderful pastry. I have added more sugar to the dough, but it is not necessary. I have used almond extract in the icing when I was out of vanilla --it is a nice flavor accompaniment too. I double the icing recipe. This will ALWAYS be a favorite recipe. I'm not sure how many times I have even made it --but many times!"
"This was really great. Easy to make and wonderful flavor. Only issue I had was it spread out flatter than the picture. Still, well worth making time and time again. Was even wonderful heated the next morning."
"Both my daughter and I have made this and brought it to work and coworkers would not believe we made this as it is such a beautiful bread and the lemon cheese filling is just a wonderful creamy flavor"
"This was really yummy!"
"I love this bread. I have given it as a gift and the receiver was quite impressed andthought I bougt it from a bakery"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.