Cake mix speeds along the crust and topping for these special squares shared by Janie Dennis of Evansville, Indiana. With just a handful of ingredients, the bars are so easy to assemble. Priced at 11 cents each, they're economical, too.
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, one egg and oil until crumbly. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Press the remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in the sugar, extract and remaining egg until smooth. Spread over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon Cheese Bars in Quick Cooking September/October 2003, p45
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Cheese Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review