Lemon Cheese Bars Recipe
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, one egg and oil until crumbly. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Press the remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in the sugar, extract and remaining egg until smooth. Spread over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Cheese Bars
Sort By :
"It was simple and good, but it needs more lemon flavor and cream cheese."
"This is a great 'anytime' of the year recipe! By simply replacing the cake mix and extract you have a wonderful, rich seasonal dessert ready in no time. For valentines day I choose a cherry chip mix . Strawberry cake mix at Easter and Spice cake in the fall. Have fun with seasonal mixes!!"
"My family liked this recipe, but I think it might be better with the cream cheese layer doubled."
"A good starter recipe, but if you want it more lemony, add some zested lemon peel and lemon juice.~ Theresa"
"This is so easy, and works so well. I have modified the type of cake mix and the flavoring, and it always turns out great. It's been a big hit at potlucks, too. Try chocolate cake mix with mint flavoring, or cherry cakemix with almond flavoring, or make up your own."