Lemon Carrots and Rutabaga
Bernice Larsen of Gretna, Nebraska notes, "Ever since I found this recipe in a newspaper, it's become a side dish staple at my house. It's colorful and tasty--and special enough to serve to company.
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 3-inch julienne strips (about 2 cups)
- 1 small rutabaga (10 ounces), peeled and cut into 3-inch julienne strips (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- In a large saucepan, combine the carrots, rutabaga and water. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook for 13-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients;
- cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until butter is
- Drain vegetables; add butter mixture. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until
- vegetables are glazed, stirring occasionally. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 93 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 77 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.