Lemon Candy Canes Recipe
We enjoy looking at these cute candy cane rolls as much as we love eating them! For even more festive fun, I sometimes decorate them with sliced candied cherries.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-3/4 to 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- LEMON ICING:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sour cream, egg, butter, sugar, salt and 1-1/4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Let rest for 10 minutes. Roll each into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle.
- In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients. Spread half of the filling over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Fold in half lengthwise; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 strips. Holding both ends of strip, twist each strip three or four times.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Curve one end to form a cane. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over rolls. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon Candy Canes in Best of Country Breads 2000, p82
Reviews for Lemon Candy Canes(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review