This fluffy cake is full of citrus flavor but not much fat or cholesterol. Preparation starts with a boxed mix for convenience and ends with a refreshing two-ingredient lemon glaze.—Bonita Giesbrecht, Glenn, California
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- LEMON GLAZE:
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, gelatin, water, egg whites, applesauce, oil, lemon extract and food coloring if desired; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle about a third of glaze over cake; carefully spread evenly. Repeat with remaining glaze. Cool completely. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Cake in Light & Tasty April/May 2005, p27
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review