- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- LEMON GLAZE:
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, gelatin, water, egg whites, applesauce, oil, lemon extract and food coloring if desired; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle about a third of glaze over cake; carefully spread evenly. Repeat with remaining glaze. Cool completely. Yield: 15 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Cake
"The smell while it was baking was amazing but the first bite? That huge pop of lemon was out of this world! We could not stop eating it!!!! It's so easy, I could make it every week."
"I took this cake to a quilt retreat last year. Now it is a requirement for me to attend any future retreats. Really good!"
"Prepared with a gluten free yellow cake mix. Turned out like a very moist lemon bar. Wonderful!"
"SO simple! I made in 13x9 for a friend's birthday surprise, accidentally omitting the oil and it still was delicious! I am making it today w/ lemon cake mix and sugar-free gelatin, other suggested 'tweaks' and baking in a bundt pan for a beautiful Mother's Day cake."
"I've made this twice, using 2 eggs, lemon cake mix, lemon juice and zest. Omitted lemon extract and food coloring. FANTASTIC!! Very light & refreshing."