- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- Separate eggs and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt. Stir in the milk, lemon juice, butter and lemon peel. Beat egg yolks; add to lemon mixture.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold into lemon mixture.
- Spoon into six greased 8-oz. ramekins or baking dishes. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Add 1 in. of hot water to pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve immediately or chill. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Cake Custard in Taste of Home February/March 2006, p10
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Cake Custard
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 3, 2009
"this can be baked in a 1 l/2 qt baking dish in pan of water 350 for 50 min or until lightly browned"