- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- LEMON GLAZE:
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, gelatin, water, egg whites, applesauce, oil, lemon extract and food coloring if desired; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle about a third of glaze over cake; carefully spread evenly. Repeat with remaining glaze. Cool completely. Yield: 15 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Cake
"The smell while it was baking was amazing but the first bite? That huge pop of lemon was out of this world! We could not stop eating it!!!! It's so easy, I could make it every week."
"I took this cake to a quilt retreat last year. Now it is a requirement for me to attend any future retreats. Really good!"
"Prepared with a gluten free yellow cake mix. Turned out like a very moist lemon bar. Wonderful!"
"SO simple! I made in 13x9 for a friend's birthday surprise, accidentally omitting the oil and it still was delicious! I am making it today w/ lemon cake mix and sugar-free gelatin, other suggested 'tweaks' and baking in a bundt pan for a beautiful Mother's Day cake."
"I've made this twice, using 2 eggs, lemon cake mix, lemon juice and zest. Omitted lemon extract and food coloring. FANTASTIC!! Very light & refreshing."
"I have baked this cake twice. The first time, I accidentally included the lemon juice in with the cake. The result was a nice-tasting lemon cake. The second time, I followed the directions and finished the cake with the glaze. What a difference! So good, especially with fresh strawberries and a little whipped cream."
"I added strawberries. They were great!"
"If you love lemons, this is the cake for you. I used a lemon cake mix instead of white and lemon juice in place of the extract. This can also be made into a layer cake with lemon curd for the filling. Great recipe!"
"Love lemon! Does anyone know if you can use a gluten free cake mix instead?"
"I used a lemon cake mix and baked this in 2-8" layer pans. I omit the lemon extract because I don't like the artificial flavour.and when adding the water, I use lemon juice for the last 2 TB of water and a heaping tsp.of lemon zest. When cooled, I spread lemon pie filling between the two layers and drizzled the glaze over the top. Lemon heaven."