Lemon-Buttermilk Pound Cake Recipe
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 75-80 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
- 3. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a wire rack placed over a sheet of waxed paper.
- 4. In a large saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until reduced to 1-1/2 cups, about 10 minutes.
- 5. Poke holes in top of cake; spoon about 1/4 cup sauce into holes. Let stand for 10 minutes. Poke holes into sides of cake; brush remaining sauce over cake. Cool completely. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 slice: 458 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 204mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Lemon-Buttermilk Pound Cake
"This was a great cake and very easy to make."
"This recipe was wonderful! I made this cake for my very critical grandmother and kids and got two thumbs up! It didn't last 24hrs!"
"I have made this recipe many times and my family and friends never get tired of it. The lemon sauce makes this cake moist and gives it a nice tangy lemon taste."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.