Field editor Iola Egle of Bella Vista, Arkansas is a veteran baker who counts this lemony spritz variation among her best-loved recipes. Her cookies are dressed up for the holidays with a pretty drizzle of chocolate.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whole milk
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, lemon juice and peel. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Using a cookie press fitted with a bar disk, form dough into long strips on ungreased baking sheets. Cut each strip into 2-1/4-in. pieces (do not separate pieces).
- Bake 5-7 minutes or until set (do not brown). Cut into pieces again if necessary. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, cocoa, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over cookies. Let stand until set. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon Butter Spritz in Taste of Home December/January 2007, p6
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Butter Spritz
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 19, 2011
"One of the most popular cookies on my Christmas trays!"