Field editor Iola Egle of Bella Vista, Arkansas is a veteran baker who counts this lemony spritz variation among her best-loved recipes. Her cookies are dressed up for the holidays with a pretty drizzle of chocolate.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whole milk
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, lemon juice and peel. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Using a cookie press fitted with a bar disk, form dough into long strips on ungreased baking sheets. Cut each strip into 2-1/4-in. pieces (do not separate pieces).
- Bake 5-7 minutes or until set (do not brown). Cut into pieces again if necessary. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, cocoa, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over cookies. Let stand until set. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon Butter Spritz in Taste of Home December/January 2007, p6
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Butter Spritz
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review