- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, lemon peel, lemon juice and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Using a cookie press fitted with the disk of your choice, press dough 1 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly brown around the edges. Yield: about 12 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon-Butter Spritz Cookies
"Followed recipe exactly but added more lemon as a review suggested. For me, I still think they were bland and too much flour taste...about 1 1/2 cups too much flour based on other recipes I've made which made them not taste so good. Not enough butter or lemon flavor either. Would not make again."
"These cookies are delicious! Light lemon flavor, easy to bake, but hard to stop eating! They will be a staple in my cookie recipe box!"
"I made these spritz cookies according to the recipe and found this cookie lacks butter and/or lemon taste. The up side is that this recipe does make a lot of cookies and the dough works well in a cookie press."
"This is in response to Water4Chocolate's question about a cookie press that is arthritis friendly. I have an electric cookie press called Super Shooter that I've had for many years. Do a Google search and I believe there are some on Etsy as well as Ebay. There are other electric ones at Amazon."
"This is question not a review. Could anyone tell me what brand and where to purchase a cookie press that arthritis friendly (and affordable?) Thank you. ((This recipe is identical to mine from years ago except that mine uses cream cheese for butter)."