Lemon Butter Spread
My grandmother, who was a great cook, brought this recipe with her from England. I use it as a spread on toast, for filling in a cake or on top of ice cream.
24-30 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour + chilling
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- In the top of a double boiler over boiling water, melt butter. Stir
- in sugar, eggs, lemon juice and peel. Cook over simmering water for
- 1 hour or until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour into containers. Store in the refrigerator. Use over cake or
- spread on toast or muffins. Yield: 3 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 114 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 68 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.