Lemon Butter Cookies
These tender cutout cookies have a slight lemon flavor that makes them stand out from the rest. They're very easy to roll out compared to other sugar cookies I've worked with. I know you'll enjoy them as much as we do.
-Judy McCreight, Springfield, Illinois
78 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Colored sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat
- in the eggs, milk and extract. Combine dry ingredients; gradually
- add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with
- a 2-in. cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 2 in. apart on
- ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired.
- Bake at 350° for 8-9 minutes or until the edges just begin to
- brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 13 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 70 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 55 mg sodium,