- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, lemon juice and peel. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually stir into creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Combine glaze ingredients. Remove bread from pan; immediately drizzle with glaze. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Reviews for Lemon Bread
"Excellent recipe! The lemon bread turned out to be so wonderful and difficult to stop eating. My husband, who generally doesn't eat many sweets, really enjoyed this and kept saying how good it is. In fact, he started out to just have a bite of my slice and 1 1/3 slice later he was done with his "bite"! I grated a little too much lemon peel, so I just threw it into the glaze. I definitely plan to make this again and try it with some of the reviewers variations!"
"I liked the recipe but am thinking of adding strawberries just to change it up next time"
"There is not enough lemon taste. So I added King Arthur Flour's Lemon powder which gives give it a wonderful tangy lemon flavor to anything you bake."
"I was hoping this would taste like lemon pound cake, but it just tastes like ..cake. Nothing special compared to any other lemon cake, even a doctored up box mix. The glaze is too sweet, if I was going to use it I'd cut the amount in half overall. My toddler tasted the outside of the cake with the glaze and wouldn't bother trying the rest it was too much."
"This was such an easy quick recipe. The flavor is light and tangy. I made this into gluten free muffins by using gluten free flour instead. These are great for a special treat. I will be making them again!"
"I used this recipe to make muffins for my kids & latch-key kids to enjoy when they got home from school! They frequently requested it. Other than making muffins instead of bread & reducing the sugar to 3/4 cup, the only other change I made is not using the glaze because it got the kids' hands sticky. When I've made it for adults, I do use the glaze & it's delicious. It has wonderful, tangy lemon flavor!"
"This amazing recipe was delicious!!! The lemon flavor was present and the texture was spot-on! My only complaint is that the edges on my lemon bread burnt a little"
"Love this recipe. I have also made it with oranges instead of lemon. Just as yummy."
"OMG!!!!This quickbread was just bursting with lemon flavor. I didn't change a thing nor would I. Bravo. In fact I'm going to use the glaze for some sugar cookies with sprinkles I think they will be delicious."
"The lemon taste was great. Not too stronge."