Lemon Bread Pudding Recipe
Sweet raisins and a smooth hot lemon sauce make this bread pudding extra special. Even today, I get requests for the recipe from people who tasted this traditional dessert years ago. —Mildred Sherrer, Fort Worth, Texas
- 3 slices day-old bread, cubed
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1. Toss bread and raisins in an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. In a small saucepan, combine milk, sugar, butter and salt; cook and stir until butter melts. Remove from the heat. Whisk eggs and vanilla in a small bowl. Stir a small amount of the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Pour over bread and raisins.
- 2. Place dish in a larger baking pan. Fill larger pan with hot water to a depth of 1-in. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. For sauce, combine the sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in lemon juice, peel and butter until butter melts. Serve over warm or cold pudding. Refrigerate any leftovers. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Lemon Bread Pudding
Reviewed Feb. 26, 2014
"Excellent. I adjust this recipe by doubling the amount of bread, and reducing the lemon sauce by 2/3. Thanks for a great recipe."
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC