Who wouldn't smile if this dessert was placed in front of them? Cute, lemony and chilled, this is the perfect summer's day treat! —Jackie Pressinger, Stuart, Florida
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 3 tablespoons sweetened lemonade drink mix
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup frozen unsweetened blueberries
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, combine ice cream and drink mix; cover and freeze for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, poppy seeds, lemon peel and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk egg and cream; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in blueberries.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat into a 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 3-in. star-shaped cutter.
- Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown around edges.
- To assemble, split cakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates. Top each bottom layer with a scant 1/4 cup of ice cream mixture. Replace shortcake tops. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Blueberry Shortcakes in Taste of Home June/July 2009, p21
Reviews for Lemon Blueberry Shortcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review