Lemon-Blueberry Oat Muffins Recipe
These yummy oatmeal muffins showcase juicy blue berries and zesty lemon flavor. "They're a perfect mid-morning snack," says Jamie Brown of Walden, Colorado.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, combine the egg, egg white, milk, butter, lemon peel and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in berries.
- 2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill two-thirds full. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the muffin comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 dozen.
One muffin equals 166 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 158 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC