Lemon Berry Cake
From Chester, Maryland, Karen Ehatt adds tangy taste to a plain yellow cake mix with lemon gelatin and blueberries. "Serve warm with a dollop of sweet whipped cream," she suggests.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 package (6 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- Confectioners' sugar
- Whipped cream or topping, optional
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Stir in lemon
- peel. Pour into a lightly greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Sprinkle with blueberries. In a small bowl, whisk gelatin and water
- until gelatin is dissolved. Slowly pour over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 33-38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center of cake layer comes out with moist crumbs (cake will set
- upon cooling). Cool slightly on a wire rack. Dust with
- confectioners' sugar. Serve warm with whipped cream if desired.
- Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.