Lemon-Batter Fish Recipe
My husband ranks this recipe as one of his favorites. A lot of fishing takes place in our area, which makes this a good choice for a regional recipe.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup lemon juice, divided
- 2 pounds perch or walleye fillets, cut into serving-size pieces
- Oil for frying
- Lemon wedges, optional
- 1. In a shallow bowl, combine 1 cup flour, baking powder, salt and sugar; set aside. Combine the egg, water and 1/3 cup lemon juice; stir into dry ingredients until smooth.
- 2. In separate shallow bowls, place remaining lemon juice and remaining flour. Dip fillets in lemon juice, then flour, and then coat with the batter.
- 3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 in. of oil. Fry fish, a few fillets at a time, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and fish flakes easily with a fork. Drain on paper towels. Garnish with lemon if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC