- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup lemon juice, divided
- 2 pounds perch or walleye fillets, cut into serving-size pieces
- Oil for frying
- Lemon wedges, optional
- In a shallow bowl, combine 1 cup flour, baking powder, salt and sugar; set aside. Combine the egg, water and 1/3 cup lemon juice; stir into dry ingredients until smooth.
- In separate shallow bowls, place remaining lemon juice and remaining flour. Dip fillets in lemon juice, then flour, and then coat with the batter.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 in. of oil. Fry fish, a few fillets at a time, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and fish flakes easily with a fork. Drain on paper towels. Garnish with lemon if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Lemon-Batter Fish
Sort By :
"I think it was good but would have been better if \ had used beer instead of the lemon and water;)"
"Good but nothing special. Easy recipe to follow. I think next time I'll use beer in the batter."
"I made this using beer in lieu of lemon juice in the batter and added some lawreys, red pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and a hint of creole seasoning. I used one part lemon juice and one part beer for the intial dip. For oil I used about 1 to 2 inches of canola oil at about 375 degrees. I was careful not to get the flour and batter two thick on the pieces and I used Cod cut into pieces about 2-3 inches by 4-5 inches depending on thickness for even cooking. About 2-3 minutes per side depending on the oil temp fluctuation. Turn after the first minute so the batter on the top side doesn't open up, then flip them every minute until the are done. We like them crispy and this batter was crispy and light and tasty!"
"Delicious, instead of the 2/3 cup of water I used beer and instead of the 1/3 cup of lemon I used the water. I did not use the lemon at all. My family LOVED it!"
"Awesome, this is our family's favorite and fish fry is huge is my area, so you know this is great then!"