Lemon-Basil Turkey Breast Recipe
- 6 medium carrots
- 3 celery ribs
- 2 medium onions
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bone-in turkey breast (5 to 6 pounds)
- 2 medium lemons, sliced
- 1. Cut carrots and celery into 2-in. lengths; cut onions into wedges. Place in a roasting pan; add broth and water.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the basil, lemon peel, garlic, salt and pepper. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey breast; rub mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Place turkey breast over carrot mixture. Place lemon slices over skin.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 170°, basting every 30 minutes. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before slicing turkey. Serve with vegetables. Yield: 12 servings.
5 ounces cooked turkey (calculated without skin) and 1/4 cup vegetables equals 192 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 290 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 37 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer