Lemon-Basil Grilled Shrimp & Couscous Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked pearl (Israeli) couscous
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil, divided
- 2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1. Cook couscous according to package directions; remove from heat. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk lemon juice, oil, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper until blended; stir in 1/4 cup basil. Stir 1/4 cup dressing into cooked couscous; reserve remaining dressing.
- 2. Thread shrimp onto metal or soaked wooden skewers. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Grill shrimp, covered, over medium-high heat 2-3 minutes on each side or until shrimp turn pink.
- 3. Remove shrimp from skewers; toss with reserved dressing. Serve with couscous. Sprinkle with lemon peel and remaining basil. Yield: 6 servings.
8 shrimp with 1/2 cup couscous mixture equals 363 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 184 mg cholesterol, 497 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.