- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 new small paintbrush
- 24 fresh basil leaves
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add
- eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in
- vanilla and lemon peel. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking
- soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream,
- beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for
- 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire
- racks to cool completely.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a
- small round pastry tip. Fill with lemon curd. Push the tip through
- the top of each cupcake to fill.
- For syrup, in a small saucepan, combine the water, sugar, lemon
- juice, basil and lemon peel. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is
- reduced to 1 cup. Strain; discard basil and peel. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the confectioners’ sugar, butter, 3 tablespoons
- lemon syrup, vanilla, lemon peel and extract until smooth. Fold in
- whipped cream. Frost cupcakes. (Cover and refrigerate remaining
- syrup for another use.)
- Place corn syrup and sugar in small bowls. Dip paintbrush in corn
- syrup; brush over a basil leaf. Coat leaf with sugar. Repeat.
- Garnish cupcakes with basil leaves. Store cupcakes in the
- refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cupcake equals 376 calories, 16 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 81 mg cholesterol, 177 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.