Lemon Basil Chicken Recipe
- 1 medium lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil, divided
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Finely grate enough peel from lemon to measure 2 teaspoons. Cut lemon in half; squeeze juice from one half. Set aside. Slice one garlic clove; place sliced garlic, 2 tablespoons basil and the remaining lemon half in the chicken cavity.
- 2. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; rub with reserved lemon juice. Mince remaining garlic; combine with butter and reserved lemon peel. Rub mixture over chicken. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and remaining basil.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 282 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 299mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (trace sugars, trace fiber), 28g protein
Reviews for Lemon Basil Chicken
"Great flavor. Will be making again."
"I love roasted chicken and would probably choose it as my final meal. This is a quite lovely way to roast chicken, and I'll certainly make it again. The breast meat was moist and tender, just delicious. And the whole chicken had the subtle flavors of lemon and basil. Not a new recipe - I first found it in an old Betty Crocker cookbook. Sometimes, the old classic recipes are the best."
"smells amazing while it cooks. Delicious fresh flavour."
"Have made this chicken several times, and it always comes out moist and full of flavor. Thanks!"
"My family loves this chicken recipe. Very good and easy. I dont change a thing and I make it often."
"I made this to use up some of my basil from my garden. I was afraid the basil would be too strong, but it balanced out well. I didn't get the golden crust that the picture had, but it could be because I didn't cook it long enough (cooked it for 1 1/4 hrs). The taste was good, but not amazing. Not overly impressed."
"I have fixed this chicken twice since I got it in my email, love it, love the flavor of it."
"I followed the directions as written and it's absolutely delicious and so very easy. I didn't change anything, and will fix this again."
"This chicken turns out so delicious, it's a keeper for sure. We make it many times, and it's a simple, easy meal to make but so good to eat."
"When I made this recipe for the first time my family loved it. Turns out just like the picture. Now when my husband makes it he cooks two. Love the flavor and taste. UM."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.