Lemon Basil Chicken
For Sunday dinner or any time, this tender, fragrant chicken is special. —;Marguerite Marshall, Carencro, Louisiana
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + standing
- 1 medium lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil, divided
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°. Finely grate enough peel from lemon to
- measure 2 teaspoons. Cut lemon in half; squeeze juice from one half.
- Set aside. Slice one garlic clove; place sliced garlic, 2
- tablespoons basil and the remaining lemon half in the chicken
- Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; rub with reserved lemon
- juice. Mince remaining garlic; combine with butter and reserved
- lemon peel. Rub mixture over chicken. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and
- remaining basil.
- Bake, uncovered, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted
- in thigh reads 180°. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Yield:
- 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 282 calories, 18 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 299 mg sodium,