Lemon Baked Alaska Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 quarts vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, eggs, lemon juice and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Stir in butter and lemon peel until blended. Cool completely. Refrigerate until chilled.
- 2. Spread half of the ice cream into pastry shell. Top with lemon mixture and remaining ice cream. Cover and freeze overnight.
- 3. In a small heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until egg mixture reaches 160°, about 12 minutes.
- 4. Remove from the heat. Add vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Immediately spread over frozen pie. Bake at 450° for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 piece: 480 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 284mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (47g sugars, trace fiber), 7g protein
Reviews for Lemon Baked Alaska
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.