Lemon Asparagus Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash seasoned salt
- 1. In a 2-qt. saucepan, saute the onion and celery in butter until tender. Combine cornstarch and water; stir into the saucepan with bouillon. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Add asparagus. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- 3. Stir in the milk, lemon peel, nutmeg and seasoned salt. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Yield: 4 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One 1-cup serving (prepared with margarine, low-sodium bouillon and skim milk) equals 2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable; also, 182 calories, 248 mg sodium, 2 mg cholesterol, 14 gm carbohydrate, 5 gm protein, 12 gm fat.