Lemon Asparagus Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash seasoned salt
- 1. In a 2-qt. saucepan, saute the onion and celery in butter until tender. Combine cornstarch and water; stir into the saucepan with bouillon. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Add asparagus. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- 3. Stir in the milk, lemon peel, nutmeg and seasoned salt. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Yield: 4 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One 1-cup serving (prepared with margarine, low-sodium bouillon and skim milk) equals 2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable; also, 182 calories, 248 mg sodium, 2 mg cholesterol, 14 gm carbohydrate, 5 gm protein, 12 gm fat.
Reviews for Lemon Asparagus Soup
"Very light and refreshing taste. Easy to make, I'll be making this again!"
"Very good, simple. Don't let the soup simmer too long, the asparagus can get a little mushy."
"My husband loved this soup. It is very easy to make."