Lemon Asparagus Soup Recipe
We have a small asparagus patch, and my husband and I wait eagerly for this tasty vegetable to appear every spring. We're pleased to use our precious harvest in this soup. Lemon and nutmeg give it a surprising spark. Darlene Swille, Green Bay, Wisconsin
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash seasoned salt
- In a 2-qt. saucepan, saute the onion and celery in butter until tender. Combine cornstarch and water; stir into the saucepan with bouillon. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add asparagus. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the milk, lemon peel, nutmeg and seasoned salt. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Asparagus Soup in Taste of Home April/May 1997, p25
Reviews for Lemon Asparagus Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 1, 2013
Very light and refreshing taste. Easy to make, I'll be making this again!
Reviewed Mar. 7, 2011
Very good, simple. Don't let the soup simmer too long, the asparagus can get a little mushy.
Reviewed Jun. 25, 2010
My husband loved this soup. It is very easy to make.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Asparagus Recipes >
- Asparagus Soup >
- Asparagus Soup >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Cream Soups >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Soup Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >