- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 10 tablespoons sugar, divided
- Place flour in a large bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in sour cream and lemon peel until well blended. Place on a piece of waxed paper; shape into a 4-1/2-in. square. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Cut dough into four 2-1/4-in. squares. Place one square on a piece of waxed paper sprinkled with 2 tablespoons sugar. Cover with another piece of waxed paper. Keep remaining squares refrigerated. Roll out dough into a 12x5-in. rectangle, turning often to coat both sides with sugar.
- Lightly mark center of 12-in. side. Starting with a short side, roll up jelly-roll style to the center mark, peeling paper away while rolling. Repeat rolling from other short side, so the two rolls meet in the center and resemble a scroll.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Repeat with remaining squares, using 2 tablespoons sugar for each. Chill 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap dough and cut into 1/2-in. slices; dip each side in remaining sugar. Place 2 in. apart on foil-lined baking sheets. Bake 14 minutes or until golden brown. Turn cookies over; bake 5 minutes longer. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Angel Wings
"Dough was difficult to work with and the cookies, once baked, fell apart into at least two pieces. Didn't retain shape while baking either. Cannot share on my cookie trays this year, sadly i will toss them or just keep them for myself - the flavor was OK but the finished product is just not appealing. Wanted to share my experience as i read the few reviews so gave them a whirl, but was very disappointed. And I am a fairly experienced baker."
"Lemon angel wings? More like pie crust pinwheels as almost every one broke in half either while slicing or flipping, and I couldn't taste any lemon at all. They just taste like bits of pastry crust. Seemed to help to slice them fatter than a 1/2 inch, and if I made these again (which I won't), I'd at least double the lemon. A lot of work for a disappointing cookie."
"These are my new favorite cookies! LOVE them!!! So easy & good!"
"These were delicious! We couldn't stop eating them. They were quite time consuming and tricky to make. Mine didn't really look like the ones in the picture. I had trouble keeping them from breaking or getting too brown. But even the brown ones went fast!"
"forgot to add that I had no problems with the cookies sticking to the foil"