"Every time I make this sunny cake roll, people comment on its fresh flavor and festive look," observes Diana Hardwick of Holdenville, Oklahoma. "It goes over big at church dinners."
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 12 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 24 whole strawberries
- Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; coat paper with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel lightly dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Dust with 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, beat cream cheese and 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar until smooth. Stir in lemon juice and peel. Fold in whipped topping and food coloring if desired.
- Unroll cake and spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again; dust with remaining confectioners' sugar. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Cut into slices. Serve with strawberries. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Lemon Angel Cake Roll in Light & Tasty April/May 2001, p56
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Angel Cake Roll
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review