Lemon Angel Cake Bars Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) lemon pie filling
- 1 cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix cake mix, pie filling and coconut until blended; spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- 2. Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Spread over cooled bars; sprinkle with lemon peel. Refrigerate at least 4 hours. Cut into bars or triangles. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 bar: 116 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Lemon Angel Cake Bars
"These are very flavorful and easy to make."
"These are very nice, large pan a bonus. I made the package of sherries rather than purchase canned. So easy to have everything on hand. Janet. VFE"
"I cook for an individual or group every week and am always looking for new recipes. In the summer I look for refreshing dessert ideas. This recipe is delicious! It is light and refreshing and so easy to prepare. I also used sweetened coconut and it was fine. Definitely a keeper!"
"Anyone have a substitute for using Coconut?"
"Light and very tasty. Baked in 25 mins. Easy to cut in bars. I , too,used sweetened coconut and it was fine. Icing was yummy!!! RE: Kogo's question, no just add lemon filling and coconut to cake mix, it comes out fine.Gail Borczyk, Field Editor"
"Yummy! I love any dessert with lemon and these did not disappoint! I think next time I will use a little less coconut. Will make again!"
"I tried it. It did not work. The lemon pudding in a can was 22 oz. so I weighed out the correct amount. It puffed up nicely but in 20 minutes it was burning and I knew it would fall when cooled and it was just a thin gooey mess after it cooled and it did not taste good at all. I threw it away. I then checked the gas oven with an oven thermometer-perfect.I actually make angel food cake from scratch-I will stick to that! It is easy..."
"These were amazing.. they are more like a cake than a bar. I made the mistake of putting it in a 9x13 pan and it became a cake. Next time I will use the right pan and it will be a bar. I could not find the canned lemon pie filling so I used Jello lemon pudding instant mix, wiped it up and put it all in to cake mix. It turned out fine. I also used regular coconut and it was not too sweet. Perfect!!"
"This has the texture of cake more than a dense bar. The lemon flavor is fabulous! My husband doesn't always care for lemon desserts because they can be tart, but this just had an amazing lemon flavor with no tartness! My children really enjoyed these as well. I, too, used regular shredded coconut instead of unsweetened. The grated lemon peel really adds to this recipe; be sure to use it if you can!"
"Enjoyed these. Loved the chewy texture. I used regular sweetened coconut and it was not overly sweet at all. I like the versatility of the recipe: I bet it would be just as good with other flavors of pie filling. Yum!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.