- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) lemon pie filling
- 1 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix cake mix, pie filling and coconut until blended; spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Spread over cooled bars; sprinkle with lemon peel. Refrigerate at least 4 hours. Cut into bars or triangles. Yield: 4 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lemon Angel Cake Bars
Sort By :
"I cook for an individual or group every week and am always looking for new recipes. In the summer I look for refreshing dessert ideas. This recipe is delicious! It is light and refreshing and so easy to prepare. I also used sweetened coconut and it was fine. Definitely a keeper!"
"Anyone have a substitute for using Coconut?"
"Light and very tasty. Baked in 25 mins. Easy to cut in bars. I , too,used sweetened coconut and it was fine. Icing was yummy!!! RE: Kogo's question, no just add lemon filling and coconut to cake mix, it comes out fine.Gail Borczyk, Field Editor"
"Yummy! I love any dessert with lemon and these did not disappoint! I think next time I will use a little less coconut. Will make again!"
"I tried it. It did not work. The lemon pudding in a can was 22 oz. so I weighed out the correct amount. It puffed up nicely but in 20 minutes it was burning and I knew it would fall when cooled and it was just a thin gooey mess after it cooled and it did not taste good at all. I threw it away. I then checked the gas oven with an oven thermometer-perfect.I actually make angel food cake from scratch-I will stick to that! It is easy..."